Deactivate or delete your Instagram account
Instagram offers you the option of temporarily deactivating your Instagram account or deleting it permanently.
Instagram is one of the most common picture sharing and short video sharing sites. While initially popular among celebrities was the platform launched back in October 2010, it has recently emerged as a place for individuals to highlight public issues.
We recently saw Instagram as a medium against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) in India and the 2019 Hong Kong protests. Saying that, like Facebook and other social media platforms, Instagram also finds many posts that spread fake news and misinformation.
This may be the reason you want to deactivate your Instagram account, or it may be that social media has become too much for you.
To disable, Instagram offers two options. You can either temporarily deactivate your account or permanently delete your profile, as well as delete photos, videos, comments, likes and followers. If you have decided to go ahead completely, then you should go with the option to delete your account.
How to temporarily deactivate your Instagram account?
To temporarily deactivate your Instagram account, you will need to follow the steps below. You can again reactivate your account because if you change your mind or realize that The Importance and Use of Social Media in Advertising. So follow these simple steps to deactivate your account as a temporarily.
- Log in to your Instagram account from a mobile browser or computer by going to Instagram.
- Tap or click your profile icon from the top-right corner, and then choose the Edit Profile option.
- Now, scroll down and then temporarily tap or click on the My Account option in the bottom right.
- Instagram will show you a page with a drop-down menu why are you disabling your account? You have to choose an option from the menu and then enter your password. The drop-down menu includes options such as people can’t get to follow, worried about my data, Just need a break, privacy concerns, too busy / too distracting, too many ads, and some want to delete. If you do not want to specify your reason for temporary inactivity, you can also choose some more options.
- Tap or click on the temporarily disable account button to complete the deactivation process.
It is worth noting that you cannot temporarily deactivate your account using the Instagram app on your mobile devices. Also, if the account has been deactivated, you can reactivate it only by logging back.
Once you reactivate your account, your Instagram profile, pictures, comments and likes will be covered. In addition, your Instagram account can only be temporarily deactivated once a week.
If you did not want to deactivate your account, but want to make changes to accommodate your privacy and preferences, Instagram has provided options for people who want your posts to be private or blocked.
Having said that, if you don’t want to deactivate but permanently delete your Instagram account, there is a different solution.
How to permanently delete your Instagram account?
If you want to permanently delete your Instagram account, you need to follow the steps below. It is important to note that once you delete your account, you cannot sign up again using the same username or add that username to another account. Instagram cannot reactivate any deleted account.
- To permanently delete your Instagram account, go to Delete your account after logging into Instagram on the web.
- Hey, you have to choose an option from the drop-down menu why are you deleting your account? There are lots of advertising options, privacy concerns, concerns about my data, another account created, Trouble is starting, wanting to get something out, and can’t get people to follow. Instagram will provide links to some articles in the Help Center related to your cause. You can also select something more titled from the drop-down menu if your specific reason is not in the list.
- Now you will have to re-enter your password.
- Click or tap the Delete My Account button permanently.
Once you permanently click or tap the button on my account, your photos, comments, likes and followers on Instagram will be permanently deleted and cannot be recovered. Also, as mentioned above, you will not be able to sign up again in the future using the same username.
If you have a separate account that you want to delete permanently, click the username of that account from the top-right corner of the Delete account, tap or click the Settings gear option next to the username and Then choose Log Out. Now you have to log in with the account you want to remove and then follow the above steps.
If you do not want to permanently delete your Instagram account, you can also switch your account directly from the temporarily deactivating page.
Such as temporarily deactivating, deleting an Instagram account only works through a web browser and is not provided through an option in Instagram apps.
In the near past, Instagram has tried to reduce the number of accounts being deactivated and deleted by making some changes. The Facebook-owned platform rolled out the ‘restrict’ option, preventing users from threatening people from posting offensive content and passing derogatory comments. It has also added ‘to caption warning’ feature to flag objectionable captions.
In August, Instagram introduced a fact-checking program in the US, allowing users to flag fake news on the platform. However, the initiative found scope to limit disinfection. Instagram also recently announced that it is partnering with fact-checkers worldwide, to fight against misinformation. The platform has already started working with third-party partners in the US to help the public spread, identify and review fake content.
Last month, Instagram began requiring birthdates from all new users to expand viewership for advertisements on age-restricted products, and to introduce new security measures for younger users who are at least 13 years of age. The platform, however, does not ask for a proof to verify the date of birth and will rely on artificial intelligence to verify the facts provided by its users.
Instagram has more than one billion monthly active users worldwide. The feature of Stories on Instagram is used by more than 500 million users on a daily basis. In addition, Instagram takes strongly against Snapchat, which has more than 210 million daily active users.