If you are ready to take charge of your own destiny but you don’t have the money to buy a franchise or to open a physical store, consider starting a business on the Internet. An Internet business can reach millions of people, unlike a physical store that can only care who enters through its doors.
Also, you do not have to pay for commercial premises. However, just like in any other type of business, you will need an excellent product and a solid marketing plan. Read the first step to learning what it takes to start your own Internet business.
1. Define your product or service.
Internet companies have the advantage of being able to access millions of customers, although they also have a lot more competition. No matter what you try to sell, you can bet there are hundreds of retailers who have a similar idea. What differentiates your product from the competition? To make your product stand out from the crowd, you will need to find a niche market.
2. Imagine that you open a jewelry store (like other millions of people).
What makes your jewelry different? If your job is to create a jewelry (or other product) unique in its class, make sure it is truly original.
3. Demonstrate experience in the subject.
Even if the product is not very special, your experience can be a convincing selling point. For example, if you sell a line of skin care products, it may be helpful to have a degree in a field related to skin health.
4. Analyze the competition.
Find out what goods or services are not being offered at the moment and find a way to make up for that failure.
5. Register your business.
Your company needs to be registered according to the laws of your country. Choose an official name for your business and diligence the formats necessary to make your business legal.
Before you register your business, it may be helpful to have a plan of activities in place. Take into account production and transportation costs, taxes and web hosting fees.
Keep in mind the trade regulations in your country and be sure to follow them when you start your business.
6. Register a domain name.
As the name of any other type of company, choose a short and attractive name that is easy to remember. Visit the website of the domain registrar and try out some names that interest you to determine if they are available. When you find a good reputation, register it.
7. Get a web hosting service.
You can find free web hosting services, but if you want to have a serious Internet business in the long term, consider paying for a service that offers all the options you need. You will be less likely to have problems when your business starts to take off. Choose a web hosting service that allows you to expand.
Some web hosting services are heavily structured and enable you to create a website very quickly by giving you the option of choosing from several models. Other services allow you to modify different aspects through programming, which provides greater flexibility.
8. Create a functional and stylish website.
Whether you opt for an elegant, unusual, classic or hipster style, your online store should reflect the products you sell. Regardless of your style, it is important that you give your store a professional touch. Since you will not be able to gain the trust of the clients in person, your website will have to sell in your place. Your site should be attractive and, above all, easy to handle for customers who are ready to buy.
9. Make sure your website design matches your product.
For example, if you create diamond jewelry in the traditional style, but your site looks like it is made from pieces of cardboard with pictures attached with duct tape and irreverent fonts, you are likely to scare prospective customers.
10. Consider creating a portfolio on the Internet.
11. You do not have to design the website on your own;
Some professional designers are qualified to carry out this task. Also, e-commerce sites offer several models for you to choose. If you know in advance the style you want, it will be easier for you to pick a site template or a designer to do so.
12. When designing your site
You have to remember to focus on what is important. Your ultimate goal is to make your website simple and easy to use.
- Your customer does not have to give more than 2 clicks to get to the page where he can buy.
- At the top of each page, there should be a link to your shopping cart if your store is e-commerce.
- The buttons should be large and definite, and the boxes for entering information should be fast and straightforward for the user.
- Less is more. On the payments page, do not put too much text where it is not necessary.
- Make sure your logo at the top of your page always redirects to your homepage.
- If you have a dark background, use clear text, and vice versa.
13. Get an e-commerce program.
You will need this type of program so that customers can view your products, enter your information and buy safely. The program securely stores customer information. Do not skimp on the e-commerce program, since your choice will have a major effect on the sense of security of clients when buying at your store.
- You can also use a comprehensive e-commerce service. Websites like Shopify, Volusion, Wix offer competitive packages with free templates, configurable options, credit card processing, among other options.
- E-commerce services make selling on the Internet a simple task and save you many overhead costs. There are no custom interfaces or templates to work with. All you have to do is create an internet store within the service structure.
14. Open a merchant account.
In the past, service companies generally depended on cash or checks, since establishing a credit card processing system was at best an unpleasant and expensive task. Services like Payoneer allow you to accept virtually any type of debit or credit card for the payment of your services and include a dispute resolution system if necessary (which will happen safely).
15. Sell your services
Add engaging content to your website. Concentrate on the key areas of your experience and show them in a professional way. Just as you would when you have to contact potential employers, try to create the best possible impression on prospects. Includes descriptions whenever necessary or appropriate.
Do not use technical language.
If you offer technical knowledge, it includes stories aimed at your clientele, not your colleagues. For example, if you want to display your knowledge in the PHP and AJAX programming languages, do not write:
“In this case, if the input field is empty (str.length == 0), the function deletes the contents of the placeholder Called txtHint and exits the function”.
The people who are looking to hire you will simply scratch their heads and ask “what is this?” Instead, write something like: “Start writing in this field and you will see how it is automatically completed.”
16. Use social networks.
Regardless of what you’re business or local, the key to success on the Internet is to make your name prevail. Create a business account on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. If your business is image oriented, it also creates accounts on Flickr and on Tumblr. Whenever you have news of any kind (be it a contract, a page, a blog entry or a photo) publish them in all your social networking profiles. Also, make sure your profiles on social networks and your website have reciprocal links.
17. Become an affiliate marketer.
There are many companies and website owners who use affiliate programs to boost their sales over the Internet. Also, most of these programs do not have entrance costs. When you sign up for an affiliate program, you will receive an affiliate link and unique ID. The affiliate link is used to market the products of the company in which you registered. When a visitor to your website buys a product through your affiliate link, you earn a commission.
For example, if you become an affiliate marketer of Musician’s Friend (an Internet shop for musical instruments) you can advertise your products on your website. If a person visits your site, clicks the link that sends to Musician’s Friend store and buys a musical instrument within a period of time of time (usually 24 hours or more), you will earn a commission for the sale.
18. Add Google AdSense ads to your blog or website.
Google AdSense is an advertising revenue distribution program that adds ads for goods and services related to the content of your site that is targeted at people who visit your pages. When an ad appears on your site or a person clicks on it, you’ll receive a small payment. AdSense gives you the opportunity to generate revenue for sites of all sizes. However, there are many good AdSense alternatives to monetize a site and earn revenue from web content.
Tips to make money online business
- The management of the invoicing is an element that you need to eliminate from your firm on the Internet. Some companies invoice them directly to their customers after the signing of a contract so that the last pay using checks that finally reach the bank account of the supplier company. However, some clients need a particular online billing system to be able to pay for the services they have hired.
- You may have to sign up for a billing system such as PayPal so that your business’s billing and payment processes are simple and do not represent problems for you and the customer.
- Creating a business on the Internet can be an arduous or simple task, depending on whether you investigated thoroughly and whether you made the necessary preparations before starting. You can make money with an online business if you take the necessary steps and if you do not overlook some of the essentials to succeed on the Internet.
- Find a business system with proven viability.
- Check that the products and services you plan to offer are in demand in the area where you want to focus.
- Be interactive with the customer. Ask about the products, offer a shipping service. Greet him on occasions such as his birthday, wedding anniversary, etc. Offer discounts on future purchases.
- Google’s algorithms changing continuously. To give priority to rich content, so consider writing creative content that keeps users intrigued to buy your product without much effort.
Why should one be careful while doing an online business?
- Payoneer is a limited payment processor since people who use debit or credit cards through their service lose the possibility of receiving reimbursements directly.
- Keep in mind that this is a business. Learn from your failures, but also from the triumphs of other people. Be a willing and impatient student.
- Be careful with hosting and website building services that do not accompany you throughout the process of creating your e-commerce website.
- Never pay anyone to show you how to make money. Be careful before spending money.